* National Geographic Emerging Explorer, class of 2017
* National Geographic Learning / Cengage. Global middle school curriculum (2020, 2016)
* National Geographic Learning / Cengage. Keynote speaker (2016)
* National Geographic Kids. "Dinosaur Color" by Zac Petit. Interviewee (2014)
* Volunteer. Florida Aquarium: National Fossil Day (2016); Yale Peabody
Museum: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Days, Paleo-Knowledge Bowl
(2007–2010); California State Capital: Science Days (2007)
* San Francisco Chronicle. "Chronicles in Education: Bones to Birds,
The New Science of Dinosaurs." Contributor (2005)
* "Pokémon Fossil Museum" exhibit. Consultant (2021)
* "The Art of Archaeopteryx" traveling exhibit. Contributor, consultant (2015)
* Garden of the Gods Visitor Center. "Theiophytalia kerri." Consultant (2014)
* Lawrence Hall of Science. "Big Dinos Return." Contributor (2005)
* National Geographic Channel. "T. rex Autopsy." Consultant (2015)
* Discovery / Science Channel. "The Dinosaur Feather Mystery." Contributor (2004)
* USF Press Release. "22 USF Faculty Members Recognized with Outstanding Research Achievements Awards"
* “Using citizen science and AI to track deadly and invasive mosquitoes”
sign up to contribute to our larval AI research: form
download citizen science posters:
"Evidence corroborates identity of isolated fossil feather as a
wing covert of Archaeopteryx"
* Tampa Channel 10 TV coverage. “USF awarded major grant to help control spread of mosquito-borne diseases”
* New Scientist. “The early bird” by Michael Marshall
* Bay News 9 TV coverage. “USF professor brings dinosaurs ‘back to life’” by Katie Jones
* Lindgren et al 2015, Scientific Reports pdf
press releases: EurekAlert!, Brown University: "Pigments, organelles persist in fossil feathers"
articles: Forbes, IFLScience!, NBC News, redOrbit, Science Update radio / AAAS, Tech Times, Vice / Motherboard, Der Standard (Austria), Yahoo! News (Canada), Gazeta Wyborcza (Poland), VladTime (Russia), Europa Press (Spain)
press release: EurekAlert!: "Fossil pigments reveal the colors of ancient sea monsters"
articles: BBC, Brown Daily Herald, Brown University, CBS News, Discovery News, National Geographic, Phys.org, redOrbit, Science / AAAS, The Scientist, Laborwelt (Germany), Spiegel Online (Germany), Le Scienze (Italy)
* Carney et al 2014, JVP press release: Society for Vertebrate Paleontology: "Taking a deeper look at 'ancient wing'"
articles: The New York Times, Nature, Science / AAAS, National Geographic, Brown Daily Herald, ScienceNews, Huffington Post, Medill Reports, WSU, COSMOS (Australia), Die Presse (Austria), Futura-Sciences (France), Hindustan Times (India), NRC (Netherlands), NWT Magazine (Netherlands), Scientias (Netherlands), Kennislink (Netherlands), La Razon (Spain), metrics, radio: National Geographic Weekend Radio